Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Oh My! Day 5...

I have made it to Day 5, which has been quite slow for me.  I admit to having spent more time sitting, than I like;  but, at least I am still moving forward.  For those of you, who have no idea what Day 5 is:  I am referring to Day 5 of FlyLady's 31 Beginner Babysteps.  My goal is to make it through all 31 days.  I have been a flybaby for several years, and I can already see differences in my habits;  however, I have never done all 31 days to the end, which is actually only a beginning.  

For those of you who are saying, "I could never do FlyLady's routines.", I  understand where you are coming from.  However, she has some solid advice to offer that has worked for thousands of people,  and I would not even mention her if I had not found my life improved by something she teaches.  The thing that befuddles us spoonies is the energy deficit with which we struggle daily.  That is why I suggest working on one habit a month, especially for people who have been extraordinarily sedentary.  Furthermore, as someone who has fibromyalgia, I found that was all I could concentrate on in the beginning.  As I began to feel stronger, I added another habit to work on, and as I have mentioned in prior blogs, I would check off the habits on my calendar if I did them that day.  There have been times I have had to repeat the process, because I had a lengthy flare-up;  and that is fine, because every time I repeat it, I know this method works.  In fact, I am to a point now, I think I can actually get through all 31 of the steps.  And I know I do not have to do it perfectly to see improvement.  After all, these are baby steps.

In Day 5 of FlyLady's 31 Beginner Babysteps, she reminds her readers to turn their negative thoughts  into positive thoughts.  It is amazing to me how I can say something to myself I would consider rude and judgmental   yet, I would not speak that way to other people.  I have found turning negative self-talk into positive self-talk has a better long range effect on my emotions and actions.  Doing this helps my attitude immensely.  

Finally, I know that everyday I am able to work on improving something basic to my well-being and my family's well-being is worth doing.  I may not do it perfectly, but that is all right.  The point is I am working towards a goal, which I can see has already improved my life.  I am no longer the young woman that can clean the house in one day.  I have to work with what I have.  And I feel blessed and thankful, because I am well on my way to learning to manage my life in a way that will fit who I am now.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Deobrah! So glad I got introduced to your blog, and I love the idea of the 31 day baby steps. Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ilana. I am trying to stay totally honest here, even on days things don't go so well. I think establishing a routine can help even on those days things don't go as planned. I may talk about that later. I'm glad we are getting to know each other. It's good having people that understand.

      Delete

It is always lovely hearing from you.
Deborah