Friday, September 21, 2012

More Tools for Success

A little over a year ago, one of my grandsons asked me, "Grandma, why do you have notes stuck all over the house?"  He was surprised to see notes stuck by doors and windows, as well as on the bathroom mirror and by the sink.  I explained to him they were my reminders for developing better habits.

I told you about visualizing the steps for your habit in your mind.  You should be relaxed when you do that:  just mentally walk yourself through your new habit. Using a sticky note is an additional tool you could use to encourage yourself to do your habit.  I like bright colors that catch my eye.  Then, I post them in places where I am sure to pause.

The bathroom mirror usually got a note reminding me to take my medicine.  Also, I would put a reminder to get out of my night clothes and get dressed.  I had a note by my favorite french door too.  I loved looking at the birds through this window, so I usually saw my reminder to get dressed or unload the dishwasher there -- 
whatever the habit of the month was.  

The sticky notes are going to go up again in my house.  I have some new things I am working on, and I am beginning to ignore my to do list.  

One more thing:  do you have sticky notes on your computer, either virtual or real?  I love them, especially the virtual ones on my computer.  If you use sticky notes on your computer, cull them once in a while, so you don't have too many on your screen.  If I leave mine there too long, I have a tendency to start ignoring them.

Have a good weekend!  I'm taking time off from writing on this blog spot.  I need to work on my cleaning habits and getting ready for worship on Sunday.   Talk to you next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

It is always lovely hearing from you.
Deborah