Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Tangle

Since today is October 31, it seemed that it might be a good time to come up with a "habit of the month."  It was my screen saver that reminded me, because that is what I see every time I turn on my computer.

This morning I was thinking about my problem areas in the house.  As you know, I am far from perfect, but that is alright, because I am going for reasonably clean.  My worst habit is that I am a piler.  I have little piles here and little piles there -- books, magazines, cards, mail -- you name it, it may be in my pile.

Some people call these hot spots.  However, I have come up with a new name, that fully describes the maxim of clutter attracts clutter.  It is like a spider web:  everything that lands there sticks.  Or maybe, it is more like briers   things get caught in there and stay.  Ooh!  Doesn't that sound painful?

We have a new term to learn, and our habit of the month for November will be to work on making these areas go away.  So, let me introduce to you The Tangle.  The Tangle is the clutter that attracts clutter. 







It is our little piles that seem to magically grow, as we put things down we intend to use but don't get around to using or we forget to put them away.  It is the books and mail that need to be filed, the medicine bottles we knock off the table--because they are in the way, and it is the rubber-bands or pencils that need a home.  It is the dust that collects, because it is too hard to dust there.

When we are truly organized, we learn to put items where they belong.  If we do not use, need, or love the things causing our tangle -- then, these things need to be donated, recycled, or thrown away.  

Remember, baby steps will get us where we want to go.  

The habit of the month for November will be to clean up your Tangle for 15 minutes a day.  Work at your own pace.  If you need to, divide this job into smaller segments, such as five minutes for three times a day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always lovely hearing from you. xoxo, Deborah