Monday, January 6, 2014

10 Things To Do When You Are Dragging More Than Usual...

The new year seems like a time to jump in, to fire up the burners, and get going;  but, in reality, dealing with a chronic illness may leave you feeling deflated from all the activity during the Thanksgiving and Christmas season.  Even though you may look back with a grateful heart in remembering that time, it does not change that you probably expended more energy being out of your normal routine.  

Today, I'm not going to take the time to  talk about some of the things that can drain us of energy.  But, I would like to list some things to help us get back on track.  I say "us", because I am writing this to me too.  January and February have been slow months for me for quite a few years.  I have noticed 
a pattern, and I think this may be true for many of us. 

Image Courtesy of [-Marcus]/FreeDigitalPhotos.net


When you are dragging more than usual, you can try...

  1. Making a shorter list of things to do.
  2. Listing 3 things to do, instead of 6 or 7.
  3. Breaking big jobs into smaller increments.
  4. Spending no more than 15 minutes on a chore -- rest -- then, finish.
  5. Delegating small jobs to other family members with age appropriate activities, letting them know how much they are contributing to family life. (This is great training for children.)
  6. Celebrating the things you are able to get done.
  7. Getting off your feet, and taking a break.
  8. Speaking to yourself with positive thoughts.  Don't let the negative take over.
  9. Slowing down, doing something you enjoy.
  10. Sitting by the fire.

Image Courtesy of [artur84]/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

I hope this helps.

Hugs, 

Deborah

4 comments:

  1. I love this. Post-exertional malaise can be really crippling and I am now starting to come through that. Here it is summer at the moment, and I am really trying hard to do a wee de-clutter while the weather is warmer. So far I have found a new box of chocolates hidden in my wardrobe that I forgot about, from Christmas, so I am happily de-cluttering those ;). I went out to the living room to check on my daughter, and our wee woofer is lying in a tiny patch of sun that is peeking through, and it made me think how important it is to find the wee bit of sun in each of our lives :). I love your pointers about focusing on the positive, doing things you enjoy, and doing things in manageable steps. Winter can be very hard with chronic illnesses, but it's good to know that there will also be sun... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! Thank you for the reminder that "a tiny patch of sun" will peek through. I almost forgot that this afternoon as I worked at taking care of a frustrating matter that is still unresolved. And, now that I think of my reaction, I know it is not worth feeling bad, even though it is one of those "important" things to take care of. I appreciate your words of wisdom: you had the words I needed this afternoon. Love, Deborah xx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tips:) I need to be reminded. God bless you more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Joy. God bless you too! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely hearing from you.
Deborah