Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Working at Your Energy Level

When inactivity is about to drive you crazy, and you have to do some housework or bust, jump in gradually.

Guess what!  Today, I actually got some work done:  Laundry Basket Emptied, Laundry Dried and Folded, Washed the Coffee Pot -- it tastes better if those old oils are washed off, and I spent time decluttering a drawer.  I would like to dust;  but my ear infection has been so bad and I have so much yucky stuff still in my head, I need to buy some masks to wear or make my own washable masks. 

When trying to return to your normal activity level, rest in between jobs.

I rested between everything I did.  I did not work for 15 minutes at a time, because my body made it obvious it is not back.  I could feel the weakness and lack of energy;  however, even with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, the muscles will become weaker if not used.  Those of us with ME/CFS walk a fine line between using our muscles and not over exerting ourselves.  We need to use our muscles, then rest.  

Smile.  You accomplished something!  Then, relax and sleep well (hopefully).

I find myself more comfortable with myself if I put in a little effort, according to what I am able to do at the time.  I cannot always be thinking of myself as behind, because that is an indicator I have unrealistic expectations of what I should be doing.  I have also found I sleep better if I am active;  however, if I do more than my body is able to do at the time, I often end up unable to sleep. The fine line I do not want to cross is always there. So what is the best way to know when to stop?

Learn to listen to your body.  It will tell you when to rest if you listen.

I wish I had a magic formula to give you;  however, there is none that I know of.  This is a self-learned, trial and error ability.  Often, one runs into problems when the adrenaline rush of expecting company or wanting to do something so very much, he or she ignores the warning signs that pop up.

  1. How do you know when you need to rest?  
  2. Have you learned to work in short spurts with rest periods?

2 comments:

  1. This is exactly what I struggle with everyday. The hardest part for me is that no day is the same. Some days I can do almost nothing except sleep. Other days I can do almost all that I used to do. Most days are somewhere in between. I am learning to recognize what kind of day it is. And you are correct, it is so important to keep moving at some level. Otherwise I just end up feeling worse. Thanks for your writing. It is nice to know I'm not the only one out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, you are so very welcome. It took me years before I understood what was going on in my body. I found out I have to go with the flow or live in frustration. It is much more pleasant to work within the parameter, than live in constant disappointment. Thank you for sharing you understand this cycle. We all need to be reminded there are other people who truly understand.

      Delete

It is always lovely hearing from you.
Deborah