Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Trimming my Toenails Made Easier

Some of my readers may say to themselves that trimming one's toenails is a subject best left alone; however, I do not take trimming my toenails for granted. In fact, I have never enjoyed trimming my toenails, so I tend to wait too long to do the dreaded deed; but since they are strong little buggers, I must. And today I did it.

I have been contemplating trimming my little beauties for several weeks. In fact, I can't remember when I applied the now peeling nail polish, a good indicator of how long it has been since I had a pedicure. When I see a quarter inch of new nail showing, I know it has been too long since I took care of the inevitable, the need to cut my nails. I want you to know, I do believe in good grooming, but toenails are so hard to do when one has Arthritis and Fibromyalgia. Twisting my body into odd positions to cut them or paint them, squeezes the breath out of me as I bend my protruding tummy to reach--and pulling my legs up close enough hurts. I would love to get a pedicure at a salon, but I would feel guilty spending money on that; so, I contemplate the struggle it will entail, then I procrastinate. Thus I end up with toenails that would rival the strong, long fingernails some people want so badly.

I know that fingernails or toenails which have been soaked first are easier to cut. Since I had decided to take a bath and luxuriate today, this seemed to be the perfect opportunity to try this premise. As I luxuriated in the bath water, I made a plan of attack. My little bag I keep my nail appliances in was beside the tub so I could reach it easily. I pulled out the toenail clippers, made sure the little cover that is supposed to keep nails inside the clippers was adjusted, and I started by clipping the large toenail. It was easier than I expected. Hallelujah! The warm water in the tub had loosened my muscles enough that reaching was not as difficult. Furthermore, for some reason it seemed easier than bending from a sitting position in a chair, or than standing and bending over. Standing and bending over is not as safe for many people that have chronic illness anyway, and I did not want to put myself in the position of falling. Moreover, who likes standing outside the tub, bending over with a dripping, wet body and nails that are drying out too fast? Not me.

I did not cut all my nails on my left foot before I switched to the opposite foot. As my muscles began to cramp a little, I took a short break; then, I began to cut nails on my right foot. Thus, switching back and forth I was able to trim the nails on both feet. After I cut the nails, I gently pushed my wet cuticles back, and the job I dreaded was done. Painting the toenails is a job I will do another day; however, my nails already look better. Also, I don't have to worry about them hitting the end of any closed toed shoes. And if you are wondering what I did with the nail clippings, I dumped them into a small plastic container after I did each nail. Sometimes the clippings do fall out of the clippers that have covers to keep them in, and I did not want toenails going down my bathtub drain. When I was out of the tub and dried off, I put the clippings in the trash.

Dear reader, I hope you have someone to do your nails for you, but not all of us do--or we don't want to ask. Someday, I do plan to have a pedicure done in a salon for a treat, but that is not an option for me now.
Also, I have to admit to feeling a bit paranoid about the sterilization of equipment in salons. Next time I get my nails done away from home, I will ask about the salon's equipment sterilization policy. I prefer to avoid cross-contamination when it comes to my feet. May you feel as good about your toenails as I do today. First step to well-groomed nails done--Check! Until I write again--God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is always lovely hearing from you.
Deborah